You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-11 22:47:24

gamba66

Poise Feature Request: Sample playback indicator and Resizable GUI

Hi,

I have been searching for an alternative to my maschine studio so I could work with a portable pad controller on the fly while keeping a similiar workflow to maschine.

Poise is by far the best plugin I have tested because of its simplicity, midi-mapping abilities and just working reliably.

But something that has been bugging me is the waveform editor, you cant see any indication of the sample playback when a pad is pressed, which makes it harder to follow the correct place to change the startpoint to. In any other sampler or sampler vst there is always a vertical line that progresses throughout the sample to indicate its current playback position but not in poise sad

Also an option to make the waveform editor window larger or the whole GUI.

And lastly it was a bit buggy for me to move samplestart because the waveform disappeared or startet flickering while the start point was moved. Please fix this also maybe a horizontal line to show the zero-crossing

My workflow:
1. Load sample on pad 1 (mostly complete songs moslty atleast 3 mins long)
2. Change start point
3. Copy pad
4, Paste on to next pad
5. Play finished sequence into DAW

Features requested:
1. Playback indicator in waveform editor;maybe horizontal line for zero-crossing
2. Make gui or atleast waveformeditor resizable
3. Make "scrubbing" or moving of the sample start point possible without distorting the visuals

Excuse my language and if I made any mistakes , im not a native speaker

Thank you very much in advance! I love this plugin it is really the perfect mix of simplicity and efficiency for me, with these additional features it would make the maschine obsolete for me

#2 2016-10-11 22:58:28

gamba66

Re: Poise Feature Request: Sample playback indicator and Resizable GUI

By the way I used bomes midi translator to midimap ctrl + c and v to copy and paste the pads from my controller

So this could be another native feature maybe that would be pretty easy to add I guess

Please consider as a developer that working without a mouse and keyboard and direclty from the midi controller has become more prominent with the introduction of the maschine series and ableton push especially push 2 not to mention akais mpc element/studio

Adding these features would make poise a direct competitor(in terms of sampling) to all of them and a cheap alternative if marketed right.

Last edited by gamba66 (2016-10-11 23:05:48)

#3 2016-10-12 04:05:40

Shannon
Administrator

Hi Gamba,

Thanks for writing and the clear explanation. smile

> And lastly it was a bit buggy for me to move samplestart because the waveform disappeared or startet flickering while the start point was moved. Please fix this also maybe a horizontal line to show the zero-crossing

That's not ideal. I'll take a look at that.

> Features requested:
> 1. Playback indicator in waveform editor;maybe horizontal line for zero-crossing
> 2. Make gui or atleast waveformeditor resizable
> 3. Make "scrubbing" or moving of the sample start point possible without distorting the visuals

1 and 3 are possible. I'll take a look when I have some time. Thanks for reporting the issues.

I wish Poise had a re-sizable GUI. It's not an easy task however. It's something I've been working towards for a while but am not there yet. It's not going to happen in any 1.x version of Poise. Sorry. It's a bit frustrating as screen sizes are only becoming more varied.

Edit: Added a bug report here for the flickering waveform view.
http://www.forum.onesmallclue.com/viewt … d=337#p337

#4 2016-10-12 05:45:14

gamba66

Shannon wrote:

Hi Gamba,

Thanks for writing and the clear explanation. smile

> And lastly it was a bit buggy for me to move samplestart because the waveform disappeared or startet flickering while the start point was moved. Please fix this also maybe a horizontal line to show the zero-crossing

That's not ideal. I'll take a look at that.

> Features requested:
> 1. Playback indicator in waveform editor;maybe horizontal line for zero-crossing
> 2. Make gui or atleast waveformeditor resizable
> 3. Make "scrubbing" or moving of the sample start point possible without distorting the visuals

1 and 3 are possible. I'll take a look when I have some time. Thanks for reporting the issues.

I wish Poise had a re-sizable GUI. It's not an easy task however. It's something I've been working towards for a while but am not there yet. It's not going to happen in any 1.x version of Poise. Sorry. It's a bit frustrating as screen sizes are only becoming more varied.

Edit: Added a bug report here for the flickering waveform view.
http://www.forum.onesmallclue.com/viewt … d=337#p337

Please dont forget copy and paste pads (ctrl + c and ctrl + v) as a midi-mappable feature so bomes midi translator wouldnt be necessary to do that action on a midi controller! Is that possible too? And or DUPLICATE pad too.

On maschine while keeping the duplicate button pressed I can press pad 1 and then pad 2 to duplicate pad 1 including the new start point (non destructive chopping)

Check out this ableton push 2 video that shows how one could duplicate pads via midi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Iy9AY4iEjo

That function is exclusive to push2/maschine and not possible to midimap in ableton. Also it shows my workflow except I dont use one-shot but asr/note off so the pad only plays while being pressed

Thank you for quick response. I believe poise is a very great product and not overly complex and bloated with features like the other vsts out there, and with a little more tweaking it has the potential to become the number 1 plugin for sampling and compete with hybrid samplers such maschine smile  Good work!

I already suspected that a resizable GUI would be difficult because of the static themes. As long as this feature is going to be added sooner or later im happy! I wish I could code so I could support this vst myself

So additional features:

1. Add copy and paste function to midimap
2. Add duplicate function as in video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Iy9AY4iEjo
3. In the far future as im guessing this is harder to add: more than 16 pads, infinite pads, maybe through banks?

Last edited by gamba66 (2016-10-12 06:14:53)

#5 2016-11-14 02:25:15

Chustaki
Website

Holly Smokes, Gamba66 story is the exact as mine, i have a maschine studio and wanted something for on the go other than a miKro,
found Poise, and its super dope!

The features request 1-3 were literally the only things i also thought it needed to be 100% perfect, the monitoring of the wav form as it plays, is very important! speeds up work flow, and that wav form screen, is so tiny sad but still usable.

When i'm scrolling left to right or zooming in, the wav form seems to Not flicker, but almost just disappears then it comes back, these are very small things i think would make this plugin awesome if fixed.

I can deff still use poise as is, and i will until updates are eventually made, and when they are, oh boy game on.

Posie is dope regardless, i just hope to see those things applied soon!

Last edited by Chustaki (2016-11-14 02:40:40)

Board footer