You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-14 15:17:25

PP0815

FLAC support?

Hi,
I just read about the Grace plugin on the Bedroom Producers Blog and was very interested cause it seem to be a very good plugin. I havn't tested it yet cause I don't use WAV no more. My samples are all in FLAC format and the description of Grace say that it supports WAV AIF and SND. Thats sad. So I guess you already know what I really would like to see someday (or earlier) smile Do you plan or did you thought about FLAC support?

Thanks
PP

#2 2015-09-14 21:31:44

Shannon
Administrator

Re: FLAC support?

Hi PP0815,

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, I don't have any immediate plans to add FLAC support. It's going to be fair bit of work to support FLAC and there are a few other things that take higher priority at the moment. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Can I ask why you prefer to use FLAC over WAV? Is it just filesize?

Thanks
Shannon

#3 2016-07-26 15:38:36

PP0815

One year later............
.....yes it's "just" the filesize. Since I digitized a part of my vinylcollection and there are still a lot of records left that also want to go that way (my collection is approximate 8000)  filesize still matters IMO. I also don't see a reason why someone should not benefit from the lower filesize (approximate half of a WAV). Defragmentation is faster, backup is faster, sending over the internet is faster.
I find it sad that flac is not that relevant in some software (would like to see it wavsaur or in shortcircuit 1 but since there is won't be another shortcircuit.....). I'm not a programmer so I'm probably completly wrong but I guess it's not THAT complicated to implement it. (I hope you don't hate me for that cause I know that is something non-progammers say often. "Do this or do that. It can't be that complicated" wink )
Its just guessing because I once ask for flac support on ModPlug Tracker. And the programmer implemented it like it was nothing.
So I hope the "things of higher priority" have been done yet. The future is now wink

Thank you. I still havn't used it but your software really looks sexy.

#4 2016-07-27 10:44:18

Shannon
Administrator

The years go so quickly! I'm sorry to say FLAC support is still not a priority.

> (I hope you don't hate me for that cause I know that is something non-progammers say often. "Do this or
do that. It can't be that complicated" wink )

:chuckle: wink

> Its just guessing because I once ask for flac support on ModPlug Tracker. And the programmer implemented it like it was nothing.

Flac support is totally not an unreasonable request. It's something that would be easy to add if there was a nice third-party library I could use for it. However I'm not aware of anything. Being a Delphi developer, the options for third-party libraries are usually limited.

Board footer